THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index
Sumerians....earliest advanced civilization
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper
Cannabis Sacrament Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lot should read Chris Bennett's 'Sex, Drugs, And Violence In The Bible'.

It goes into the origins of language, geography, anthropology and religious tradition and origins of the Summerians, Assyrians and others.

Essentially he argues that humanity and the cannabis plant spread themselves around the world together, that both share a common geographic origin, that the religion of the Assyrians/Summerians developed out of the pre-pre-Vedic period which was originally based on Tree worship.

Try looking up Ashera, Dagon, El, Ea, Enki, Oannes, Anu, Adapa, Ishtar, Anath, Astarte, and Ninti.

This should be interesting .............

www.viperslair.co.uk
prntrkmt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper wrote:
You lot should read Chris Bennett's 'Sex, Drugs, And Violence In The Bible'.

It goes into the origins of language, geography, anthropology and religious tradition and origins of the Summerians, Assyrians and others.

Essentially he argues that humanity and the cannabis plant spread themselves around the world together, that both share a common geographic origin, that the religion of the Assyrians/Summerians developed out of the pre-pre-Vedic period which was originally based on Tree worship.

Try looking up Ashera, Dagon, El, Ea, Enki, Oannes, Anu, Adapa, Ishtar, Anath, Astarte, and Ninti.

This should be interesting .............

Chris Bennett was my source for the information I just gave on Assyria and cannabis. I met him years ago, but somehow lost touch with him.

Funny you should mention looking up Asherah, because the number two listing in Google (behind the Wikipedia article) is an old article that I wrote years ago on Asherah.

I keep intending to update that article, because there is a massive amount of information on Asherah, including information that directly impacts cannabis religions.

The short version: (I'll use Greek names to make things easier to understand)

Set killed Osiris and locked him into a coffin and floated the coffin down the Nile. it went out to sea and landed in Phoenicia, where it caught up in a tamarisk tree and caused the tree to become the mightiest tree in the world. The king of Phoenicia built his palace with the tree as the main beam.

Osiris' wife Isis searched for the coffin and eventually found it. She pretended to be a nurse maid to be near her dead husband. Eventually (after many events, including Isis becoming a close friend of the Queen of Phoenicia) she was discovered as a Goddess and the King of Phoenicia tore down his palace so that Osiris' coffin and body could be returned.

The splinters were used for great altars throughout Phoenicia. For thousands of years, Phoenician temples claimed that their altars were made from those splinters.

These special altars were called asherah. And eventually there became a Goddess also named Asherah. The Queen of Phoencia was named Astarte and became a Goddess, also related to similar Goddesses, including Ishtar and Inanna. There is also a relationship to the Aster (star) of Zor-Aster (Zoroasterism).

The asherah are mentioned in the Hebrew Tanach, because there was a several hundred year campaign of terrorism to wipe out all worship of any Goddesses, and a certain sign of Goddess worship was the existence of an asherah (wooden altar, usually a large tree stump with a flat top).

The key difference between a stone altar and a wooden altar is whether one is involved in animal (or human) sacrifice or plant magick.

Those doing animal sacrifices want a stone altar because the blood would soak into a wooden altar and eventually make it useless.

Those doing plant magick want a wooden altar because a stone altar will rapidly dull the blades of knives.

And at the very center of ancient plant magick was the cannabis plant.

In almost all cases where there was an asherah, there was the religious use of cannabis.

Anyway, that's the short version. Some day I need to update my Asherah article.
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So these Asherah, I assume there are archaeological finds including both the alters and cannabis or references to their use as such? This is interesting.

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

-James Madison

Police officers acquitted for beating a 64 yr old man recently in New Orleans. In the words of their defense attorney "all he had to do was comply"....and they wouldn't have fractured his face.
viper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashera, according to my own research, actually is a representation of Shiva's female counterpart Kali.

There is some lingustic evidence to suggest Ashera was derived from Shiva.

The Ashera posts/poles are representations of Shiva's lingum (his dick). At certain fertility festivals in some places virgins broke their virginity on/with the poles. Other offerings were commonly laid on or around the poles. Cheif among the decorations was the cannabis plant sacrament.

It is believed that the origins of the Ashera pole comes from the ancient pre-pre-per-vedic times of Tree Worship, the worship of the Tree Of Life & Knowledge - the cannabis plant. Source of food, fibre, and medicine, also the basis of the shift from nomadic existance to agriculture.

During the Summerian period (roughly) Ashera meant both the Goddess and her sacrament.

www.viperslair.co.uk
Grannymouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting thread.

Just wanted to comment that the 'alien interference' theory would not neccesarily make the theory of natural selection 'obsolete'. I would think that the aliens would be just as subject to 'selection' as any other living thing.
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grannymouse! Haven't seen you about in a while.

The only reason alien interference would make a difference is the theory that we were a genetic project of theirs, which is according to some interpretations of Sumerian writings, or other evidence. It wouldn't rule out selection when it comes to hominids, it would just mean that the selection wasn't natural in the beginning. The missing parts of our genetic codes that would indeed link us with primates is one of the main reasons for this theory. We are missing two whole chromosomes, which is VERY significant. That is a large portion of the blueprint that should have been passed on that wasn't.

I am actually very interested in the idea that alien species had something to do with our existence. I know that even if that is not the case, the possibility of other life forms must be explored much more thoroughly. Alien science has to move from pseudoscience to the mainstream. Though, the mere sound of the word "alien" scares people for fear of ridicule.

I have some inside information that gives me MORE than good reason to believe in alien involvement, not just in the past, but right now today...I'll just leave that point there as stated.

“Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives.”

-James Madison

Police officers acquitted for beating a 64 yr old man recently in New Orleans. In the words of their defense attorney "all he had to do was comply"....and they wouldn't have fractured his face.
Mystic Power
admin THC-Ministry YahooGroup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have some inside information that gives me MORE than good reason to believe in alien involvement, not just in the past, but right now today...I'll just leave that point there as stated.

Not fair! Not fair! ...mutter...grumble...

"In Lak'ech"
~ Ancient Mayan: "I am another YOU." ~
prntrkmt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother Adam wrote:
So these Asherah, I assume there are archaeological finds including both the alters and cannabis or references to their use as such? This is interesting.

Because the asherah altars served like modern chopping blocks, vegetative residue was regularly cleaned off.

The cannabis remains were found in other related items, especially in mortars where the cannabis was combined with other plant ingredients.

Written records from the time make clear that cannabis, psyliocybin mushrooms, and other plants were commonly used by the Goddess worshippers who used asherahs.
Grannymouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother Adam,
Thanks, i've been out of town and roped into family social service.

Are you assuming that we were 'created' by these creatures/beings? I suggest that they MAY have just 'used' the local intelligent life forms. Certainly there would be DNA evidence of genetic tampering...some sort of 'marker'.

Hmmmmm. Interesting how so many who are arrested are being legally(?) required to provide DNA samples.
Brother Adam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's possible they were involved. I am not positive on that idea, and again, I hate to subscribe to any particular belief without fact....hence the reason I am here at this wonderful place! Instead of assuming anything, I am simply EXPLORING everything!! Very Happy

The genetic marker is there, or sort of, which is what I was mentioning about the distinct difference between hominids and apes. Monkeys are 4-5x stronger than the average man. 98% of our genetic code matches theirs...except the fact that TWO WHOLE chromosomes are MISSING from hominids that are found in apes. SO, you are right in thinking that it would be easier to just modify existing species than to create one anew, and that there would indeed be some sort of marker. Could you imagine a man that could bench press 1000lbs? Would be quite dangerous to create something extremely intelligent and massively strong at the same time. In fact, humans are quite weak in comparison to most animals, which is funny if you ask me! Ants can lift 100x their own body weight!!!!!!!!

Speculation....and interesting thoughts to ponder, IMO. The answer to it all? I don't think the average man has that yet.

DNA sampling adds another interesting twist. The human genome project was supposedly completed. I think the sampling is very dangerous precedent because it will allow for the creation of diseases and viruses that affect only certain people, making genocide easier. To say it will be used for good would be a total LIE. NOTHING is used for good...I say again, NOTHING, or we would all have free energy and PRIVATE banks wouldn't control any nation's money supply.

-James Madison

Brother Adam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some links on Sumerian cannabis:

http://www.kamakala.com/cannabis.htm
Quote:
The oldest civilization that we are currently aware of is Sumer. The ancient Sumerians were the first to produce the written word and the Sexagesimal system of mathematics that we still use today in calculations of time and space. They were also the first to meticulously record astronomical observations, and the first to build pyramids - called zigguarats. This technology was later exported to Egypt where it was further developed.

For these reasons and many others, the Sumerians are regarded as the originators of what we now understand as civilization. So it was with shocking surprise that a distinguished scientist and an expert in the Sumerian language John Allegro, discovered that these highly civilized people regarded psychoactive mushrooms in a religious context.(4)

What shocked academic scholars even more however, was that about this time, the esteemed ethnobotonast R. Gordon Wasson of Harvard University, discovered the same thing regarding the Indo-Europeans of India. He found extensive references to Amanita muscaria in their oldest and most sacred scripture, the Rig-Veda. The psychoactive mushroom was referred to in the Vedas as a god named Soma. Over one hundred hymns are found in the Rig-Veda devoted to Soma.(5)

It is also interesting to note, that in the oldest Religion still practiced today, Zoroastrianism, it's been discovered that it too was once influenced to a large extent by the sacred Amanita.

"The use of an intoxicating drink, which is called soma by the people of India and haoma by the Iranians, is one of the earliest and most persistent elements in the religion of the Indo-Iranian peoples. The importance assigned to the drink by both of those ancient peoples clearly show that its use must have originated in a common source in prehistoric times." (6)
Much more to read there....very interesting.

Another small reference. http://www.ukcia.org/research/abel/1ref.htm This one it seems is one often referred to by many pro cannabis sites...
Quote:
54. In his Dictionary of Assyrian Botany (p. 220), Campbell identified the Sumerian term a-zal-la and the Akkadian term azulla as cannabis on the basis of their similarities to the Syrian azal, meaning "to spin". Campbell also took the Assyrian word gurgurangu as another reference to cannabis because of its similarity to garganinj, the Persian word for cannabis. Building on these similarities, Campbell then identified the Sumerian drug gan-zi-gun-na as hashish [literally, a robber (gan) who spins away (gun-nu) the soul (zi)]. Campbell also felt that the similarity between gan-zi and the Hindu word qanjha also supports his arguments. However, in a later discussion of this issue (p. 229), he acknowledges the possibility that the Sumerian and Akkadian words he tentatively identified as hashish could just as likely be words denoting narcotics in general and opium specifically.

-James Madison

Mystic Power

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suggest that they MAY have just 'used' the local intelligent life forms. Certainly there would be DNA evidence of genetic tampering...some sort of 'marker'.

I believe that is the position of the proponentse of Interventionist Theory.

Bliss on,
Ben

"In Lak'ech"
~ Ancient Mayan: "I am another YOU." ~
MelT
getting into high spirits
getting into high spirits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of extremely good literature which debunks Sitchin, this is an excerpt from: http://jcolavito.tripod.com/lostcivilizations/id14.html

"...Ian Lawton talked to a Sumerian linguist (who requested anonymity to avoid the onslaught of hate-mail from ancient astronaut believers). The linguist confirms Sitchin's "special" understanding of Sumerian is not that special:

"[Sitchin] demonstrates a consistent lack of appreciation of even some of the most basic fundamentals of Sumerian and Akkadian grammar, even to the extent of regularly failing to distinguish between the two entirely different languages, and mixing words from each in interpreting the syllables of longer compound words." This mixing of languages allows Sitchin to make amazing "discoveries."

Carroll is not impressed with Sitchin's scholarship, sarcastically adding, "Sitchin stands alone, on nobody's shoulders, as a scholar nonpareil... He alone knows how to correctly translate ancient terms allowing him to discover such things as that the ancients made rockets."

Carroll says Sitchin's dubious translations are used to decieve: "Like [Erich] von Däniken and [Immanuel] Velikovsky, Sitchin weaves a compelling and entertaining story out of facts, misrepresentations, fictions, speculations, misquotes and mistranslations."

So where did Sitchin go wrong?

II: "DUBIOUS AND SUBJECTIVE"

Rob Hafernik is one of Sitchin's most vocal critics. An aerospace engineer, Hafernik worked for NASA and knows all about orbital dynamics and the workings of the universe and rockets. He said he found a problem right from the beginning of Twelfth Planet:

"Instead of quoting standard translations for Biblical verses, Sitchin makes up his own translations, based on his interpretation of 'the parallel Sumerian and Akkadian texts/tales'. Unfortunately, he is using those verses to support his interpretation of those texts."

In other words, his own translation is used to prove his "discoveries" about the texts themselves. He could make them say whatever he wanted. Hafernik says bluntly, "Right away, we're in deep academic doo-doo. [Sitchin]'s let us know he's going to twist the translations around to support his thesis." Sitchin uses his own translation to prove his pre-supposed conclusion. He made the evidence fit the theory, something he and other alternative authors are quick to criticize in mainstream science, especially evolutionary biology.

Sitchin also makes sweeping statements about the technological development of the Sumerians based on a few subjectively interpreted drawings. Hafernik says, "He goes too far, however, when he claims that one of the Sumerian tablets 'shows, without question, a man lying on a special bed; his face protected by a mask, and he is being subjected to some kind of radiation.'"

Ian Lawton agrees: "To use the words without question is, without question, exaggerating a highly dubious and subjective interpretation. This is also a prime example, of which there are many, of the complete lack of any reference as to the location and source of the original seal."

Hafernik says there is very little chance that anyone could challenge this interpretation, not because it is right but because there is no way of tracking down the source for the hand-drawn copy of the Sumerian tablet: "We have no way to know what the original tablet actually showed. We have no reference or citation so we can go look up the tablet. Yet, we have a totally wild claim based solely on this reproduction."

In another section of the book, Hafernik says Sitchin directly copied a table showing the development of language from a S. N. Kramer's The Sumerians (1971):

"Since the table contains hand-written symbols, it's easy to compare the strokes, relative weights of lines, and so on and come to the conclusion that the table has been photocopied somehow, not merely reproduced by hand. Even more interesting, the labels of the table have been changed" to obscure the clear evolution of writing and support Sitchin's theory of extraterrestrial teachers.

On page 163 of The Twelfth Planet, Sitchen presents a hand-drawn picture, without citation, of a presumably Sumerian cylinder with wings topped by a bird, of which he asked:

"What or who was the Eagle who took Etana to the distant heavens? We cannot help but associate the ancient text with the message beamed to earth in July 1969 by Neil Armstrong, commander of the Apollo 11 spacecraft: Houston! Tranquility base here. The Eagle has landed." As Rob Hafernik points out, this argument is pointless. But why should Sitchin have a rocket-fetish? After all, advanced civilizations should logically have moved beyond the need for fuel-inefficient rockets. However when Twelfth Planet was written, rockets were state of the art.

But all the rockets landing in ancient Sumer apparently did not impress the jaded residents of that civilization. Citing standard works on Sumer, Hafernik says there is no record of these visitations:

"Here we are at the heart of the matter. These Sumerians, direct descendants of the gods from the skies, privy to the creation of the solar system, eye witnesses to rockets coming and going, didn't record enough astronomical observations that even a single tablet (out of many tens of thousands) has made it to the present day."

Worth reading the full article.

MelT
Sir Les

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a FREE E-BOOK:http://www.thecrowhouse.com/projects.html

Download and enjoy....(Right click the book, save target as)

I would like to say that even when you think you know everything, you find that there is even more to know!

We forget about the civilizations now under water...and what was before this place called Earth...how many times did God fold it?
As it is said in Holy Scripture that EDEN Was the first place God Made with Humans in mind....But they were cast out, and put here on Earth.
Because they were disobediant to GOD...and threatened his creations!

So the idea that the Sumerians or any other civilization is the oldest human estate, is not entirely true, if we account that EDEN principle into the equation...and how many times God folded the waters to get Earth...?

We still have to find mu and tow...and before that.?..goes way back to the stone ages...and we find that even then Humans were there with the dinosaurs....

So lets not get to confidents about which is the earlest just yet!

Enjoy the book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    THC - Cannabis - Ministry :: Community Forum Index -> Cannabis, Religion and History All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: